Shepherds Hill Homestead » Appropriate Technology, Plain Lifestyle » Solar Oven Video

Solar Oven Video

Here is a video we made about the solar oven we use here at Shepherd’s Hill Homestead!

Hope you enjoy it! Leave comments and questions!

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 15:58

Filed under: Appropriate Technology, Plain Lifestyle

10 Responses to "Solar Oven Video"

1. Cath says:

That’s brilliant! What temperature will it reach inside?
    Cath

1. Sarah says:

It hangs around 250 most of the time, although it does get up to 275 on occasion.

2. Le-Teisha says:

what a great idea.

3. Shellie says:

Thank you for showing a video! I love the use of the reflectors from the car shade. The ones I’ve seen previously use more metal which costs more.

I tried solar cooking on the dash of our van this summer with the triple digit temps and fell in love with it! Can you tell me where you buy the sheets of metal (hardware store maybe?) and what its called so I know what to ask for?

Thank you! Have a blessed Sabbath Day tomorrow!

1. paul paul says:

Hi Shellie-I bought the metal at our local Lowes Hardware-I can’t remember the original size but i think it was about 2 feet by 3 feet. I bought 2 of these to use.

4. Deborah says:

What a wonderful idea. Have you prepared directions for building the oven? I would love to try my hand at my own oven. I learn so much from your site. Thank you for posting. God Bless You and Keep You

5. I’d seen similar things before and thought they’d be useful in an emergency situation, but then I always thought “I don’t need to build anything- I could just use wood if I needed ’emergency’ cooking” (we’re in the middle of trees, 1/2 of them dry sticks, lol, and have a wood stove). But you know, you guys made this look like something EASY to use and CONVENIENT to use (slow roast meat during the summer days and not heat up the kitchen- and UNLIKE a BBQ, there’s no briquettes to buy, and nothing to ‘tend’… so I’m admitting this is a really great idea that just never came into full focus until you shared it! Thanks so much for that.

6. Thelma C. says:

Hello Paul and Angie,
    My husband and I were planning to make a solar oven this spring but
    he passed away on Feb. 18th but I am going to try it on my own. Would
    you please give me directions regarding the reflectors–what kind of
    material for the reflectors?
    Could you also put a chart of some sort on line to tell folks how long
    it takes to cook various items in it? EX. A medium size baking potato
    would take how long? Cake? Corn Bread?
    Paul, could you put slide photo’s online showing directions for the
    reflectors or other improvements you may have made to your oven.

Dear Thelma,
      We are so sorry to hear about the passing of your husband, but rejoice with you that he is now in the presence of our sweet Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!!
      The reflectors on the oven are the windshield reflectors that you buy for the windshield of a car. I found them at the thrift store and Paul cut them and folded the ends to fit on the angle brackets of the oven box. He secured the folds with screws, washer and nuts. This page is a short video but the other solar oven page http://shepherdshillhomestead.com/2011/08/25/build-a-solar-oven/ has individual pictures on building the oven. If you use the search box at the top of this page just type in “solar oven” and it will give you two options. Choose the “how to build” page.

7. Thelma C. says:

I forgot to tell you that I am on dial up so can’t play video’s and
    UTubes well. This is why I was asking for slide photo’s. I hope you
    folks came through those bad storms alright. My heart goes out to the
    folks who lost everything includeing their loved ones. Blessings to you and yours. Still love your new website.
    In Christ,