Shepherds Hill Homestead » Appropriate Technology » Build A Solar Oven

Build A Solar Oven

Solar Oven

Here are pictures of building our solar oven:

[nggallery id=17]

paul

Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Filed under: Appropriate Technology · Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to "Build A Solar Oven"

1. Lisa says:

OOOh that looks interesting! Let me know how it works for you. I might be interested in building one if it is worth it.

Lisa,
      Paul built this over three years ago. We are just now able to get the pictures up due to our new website. It has worked beautifully and we have cooked many meals on it. I am going to be adding additional pictures of how to cook on it and recipes. We have done everything from baking cookies to pot roast to cornbread. I HIGHLY recommend it. More to come!!!

From Thelma:
    This oven is simply wonderful and a great idea in an emergency. Would you please put complete directions online and the necessay items needed to build this for the benefit of those who are not carpenters? I’d love to give this a try!
    The sun doesn’t come out much in the wintertime but I’ll ask anyway. Have you tried this oven in the winter at all and does it work?

3. Shellie says:

I am very excited about this! Thank you for putting up the photo’s! You know how I’ve wanted one over the years. I think between Cole and myself we might be able to put one together to try! Does it pivot on on the post so you can turn it with the suns movement or is it not necessary?
    blessings
    Shellie

1. Shellie says:

Sorry, just looked at the photo’s closer and read description. The Lazy Susan was a good idea. Did you paint the inside of it black? Maybe with stove black or something? Some I’ve read about recommend painting the inside but I wasn’t sure if plain spray paint would be safe. I showed the photo’s to Cole. He thought it was pretty neat. 🙂
      Blessings
      Shellie

1. paul paul says:

Yes- the inside is black-With it left galvanized it only got to 175 degrees. When I painted it black it went to over 200. Then when I added the reflectors it will now get to 250. As long as its over 150 it will cook.

4. Thelma C. says:

I noticed that in your slides your solar oven was painted black but
    it didn’t look painted in the video. Did you make a change in it?

1. paul paul says:

It’s black in the video-it probably just looks bright due to the reflection of the sun. We left it shiny to start with and the oven got to 180 degrees. Then I painted it black and it went to 200. With the wing reflectors it gets to 250-265 easily. Our first window cracked and i replaced it. This one is a double pane. I ran a fiberglass gasket around the inside of the window and stapled it in place. You can get these where wood stove supplies are sold (also at Lowes) it makes a good hi-temp seal and helps the oven stay hotter longer. The pink fiberglass insulation is just household insulation.

5. Thelma C. says:

What kind of thermometer do you use to measure the oven temperature with? Where can we find one?
    Instead of glass, would plexiglass be more suitable for the top?

1. paul paul says:

We use an oven thermometer-You can buy them in the baking section of most grocers. It’s round metal cased and has a stand and hanger–I studied plexiglas and found that it bends around 200 degrees. That would make it sag in at the temperature the oven runs.

6. Paula Jones says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am looking forward to trying to build one for our home. Living off-grid, I love the idea of not having to heat my oven in the summer.

Your welcome!!! I think you will really enjoy using one!

7. Chief Anderson says:

Very interesting story in Star and an even more interesting website. I’m very interested in solar energy, especially passive energy like you’re using. You’re probably familiar some of which I’ve read and seen. One I read about more than 30 years ago but haven’t seen or heard of since. It was a solar heater to warm a hunting lodge. It was similar to your oven. It was a wooden box with a glass front. Inside a board painted black went diagonally across top to bottom. There was a slit in the top of the box where it met the diagonal board. There was also a slit in the bottom and the diagonal bottom was just behind it. Cold air came in that slit and rose to the top slit after it was heated. It fit like a window air conditioner but with mmore protruding inside the house than out. Hope I didn’t bore you with this. May the Force grant you long life and a prosperous 2012.

1. paul paul says:

Hi Chief-I share your interest in passive solar projects. We have a passive box heater that sounds like what you described–It was used over the past few years in our bathroom. It produces about as much heat as a portable electric heater-I have several other projects in mind such as a batch water heater. I have been collecting up materials over the past few years to build several things. Have fun with your projects!