Shepherds Hill Homestead » Homekeeping Recipes and Tips » Hanging Out The Clothes

Hanging Out The Clothes

Hanging Out The Clothes

Just came in from hanging out 4 loads of clothes.  Whew – it is so cold this morning that I am having to rub my hands to make sure they can type here!   Anyway, thought I would share one of the things we do to make it easier on cold mornings.  When we empty the washer we take each item and shake it out and lay it flat in the basket so that when we get out to the line we just have to pull it straight up and clip it with the pins. We lay all the washcloths down, then handtowels, then cloth napkins, then bath towels.  The dresses and aprons are folded in thirds like a fan so that as we pull them from the basket they are not entangled with something else.  Paul’s britches and shirts are on top.  When we do this it makes it so much quicker and everything is hung on the line in order.  This makes it easy to fold them as we are taking them off the line and then everything is right together in the basket which makes for quick putting up when we come back in the house.  I thought I would share this with you all – it really makes the laundry so much easier and quicker.

Angelia

"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him." Lamentations 3:22-24

Filed under: Homekeeping Recipes and Tips

7 Responses to "Hanging Out The Clothes"

1. Sarah says:

Greetings!
    When you hang in winter, how do you make sure their totally dry when their frozen or do you put them in the dryer after?
    Thanks for all your great info!
    In His Light
    Sarah

I can tell they are dry when we bring them inside. Shortly after warming up you can tell and if they are still a bit damp you can hang things around the house. We do not have a dryer.

2. Sarah says:

Thank you. Sorry I thought I had read somewhere here that you had a dryer. We have one at this time , but once it breaks down , thats it for us. Its neat trying to find plain replacements of things as we gradully move into this lifestyle. Awesome really.

3. Mrs. V says:

Hi, I just found your blog & am appreciating it greatly! Our washer kicked the bucket back in Nov. & we replaced it w/ a laundry sink for winter use & 2 tubs for the warm weather coming up. When hanging in the winter I have found that it is SO much easier on your hands if you wear cotton gloves covered w/ rubber dish gloves. The water stays off of your hands & you can still maintain your manual dexterity to grab a clothespin. We’re a bit north of you in western NC & I don’t know how cold it gets in Al. but cold to you is cold & this helps.

Thanks – that is a great idea!

4. Denise says:

We live in the northern Piedmont area of North Carolina, and I agree with you ladies…..cold is cold! Those are some very helpful tips!
    We do not have a dryer either and I love the time spent “hanging” around the clothes line! I have even had a family member that just “doesn’t get it” offer me their used clothes dryer. The trips to the line in the cold (and dark) are sometimes inconvenient, but I don’t plan to ever go back to using the dryer. As so many have said here in following the example of the Burrells…..when something breaks down, we find a more simpler way to do it!!! Thank you Shepherd Hill for all your insight and wisdom on the simpler life!!!

5. Jessica says:

Oh! Well now isn’t that intelligent. I have a dryer only right now; my clothesline had to come down until the landlord finishes replacing our sewer line. Nonetheless, it’s a good idea to keep in mind for summer drying because I am extremely fair skinned and if I’m out for more than a few minutes I BURN. I got at least 3 mild burns hanging clothes out last summer, and one painful one.