Shepherds Hill Homestead » A Separated Life, Homemaking, Plain Lifestyle, Sewing » How To Make A Headcovering

How To Make A Headcovering

Hi – I am Erin. Join Me-

As I Make A Headcovering For Haley

The Basic Pattern Pieces

Here are the three pieces you will need to make this kap:

The Crown Piece, The Brim, The NeckBinding

The Crown Pattern

is a little larger than a dinner plate

Make the Pattern Larger on All Sides - Here I am enlarging it by 1 inch

You will have to enlarge or reduce the crown piece to fit your size head and hair.  Because our hair is very long and thick it makes a big bun, so we have to enlarge the crown piece about an inch on all sizes to accommodate.  You may need to reduce if you have shorter, finer hair or a small head.  Just make one out of inexpensive fabric, muslin works well, and that will help you determine what you will need to do.

The Pieces Are Enlarged

1 inch around the crown and at the ends of the neck binding

Here are the pattern pieces enlarged.  You will see the Crown is enlarged 1 inch all the way around.  Also, the neck binding has been enlarged 1 inch on both sides.  The brim hasn’t been enlarged as it is adequate size.

Before Cutting

Here is the enlargement lines around the Crown.

Add Marks to Enlargement

Measure for the brim piece

Measure the brim from just below the ear on one side to just below the ear on the other.

Neck Binding Pattern

The neck binding piece needs to be long enough to fit the neck edge of the crown and brim.  This one shows 7 inches – you will make yours according to whether you enlarged or reduced the crown.  (You can also use double-fold bias tape in the color you are using for your kap.)

Cut Pieces from Fabric

Mark Lines WIth Fabric Pencil

Be sure to add the pleat lines to the fabric once you cut your piece out.

We cut a small triangular piece of paper – 1 1/2 inch across by 3 inches deep – and use this to draw our pleat lines.  It makes it much easier.  We use a different size on the neck edge depending on how we need it to fit.

Use Small Triangle

Lines Are Marked

Here is the completed Crown Piece.  All the Pleat Lines have been marked with a fabric pencil.  Now I just match the sides of the triangles and pin them together.

Pinned Together

Here is the Crown once the pleats have been pinned.  It is ready to have the pleats sewn down.

Once you fold and Pin the Pleats

Sew The Edges Down

Sew the edges down on the crown so that the pleats will be in place to add the brim.

Folding Hem On Brim

On the shorter of the two long sides of the brim piece, you need to fold down a 1/4 inch and press.  The fold another 1/4 inch and press to form the hem.  Then sew the hem down.

Erin Sewing

Sewing the Hem of the Brim

Fitting Brim to Crown

Pin the unsewn edge of the brim to the Crown.  Make sure that it fits all the way from the squared off edge of the crown around to the other side.  The neck edge of the Crown isn’t included.

Brim Is Pinned To The Crown

Right Sides Together

Once you have pinned the right side of the brim to the right side of the crown sew the edges together.

Crown and Brim

Here it is with the Brim attached to the Crown.  You are almost done.  Just one more piece left!!

Sew Neck Binding On

Bottom Of The Crown

You need to fold both edges of the neck binding 1/4 inch.  Press these folds down.  You are going to sew one edge right sides together on one side.  And then you will fold over and sew the other side down.

Final Folding of Neck Binding

Fitting Haley’s New Kap

Erin is trying it on Haley

Here I am trying the covering on Haley.  I am so thankful that I could make this for her.  She works at the Nursing Home all day and does not have as much time to sew as I do – she really needed some extra kaps and I loved making it for her!!  And it is a perfect fit!!

All Done

A Gift From One Sister to Another

The last part is to add ties if you want them.  We just add 1/4 inch ribbon for the ties – I am not showing those on here but I did add them later.

"Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God." Philippians 1:27-28

Filed under: A Separated Life, Homemaking, Plain Lifestyle, Sewing · Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to "How To Make A Headcovering"

1. Leah Jones says:

Please tell me… how do you get the kap to stay in place? Do you secure it with bobby pins?
    My hair, I suppose, is really slick and all my coverings just slip right off. It’s a bit of a hassle, and I find myself wanting to just stop wearing them, in fact, I did for a while, but I know Father wants me to wear them.
    So, please help me, if you have any ideas as to how to keep my hc’s from slipping off my head. I currently use bobby pins, but the coverings still slip. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    In His arms,
    Leah

Hi Leah – I know exactly what you mean. We tried every covering you can imagine before settling on the kap. One of the reasons we did settle on it was that it was easiest to secure. At this point we use bobby pins and it does fairly well. My hair is slick too! ;-) You can use a hair comb in your hair underneath and then when you put your bobby pin in it will secure against the hair comb. A little hair gel or hairspray might also give just enough strength at the top of your hair to hold the pins steady. Another option is a hairnet – it will keep all the stray hairs from poking out and give you something for the pins to catch into.
      Hope that helps!!

2. Deanne says:

Leah, you can handstitch two extra pieces of ribbon on the underside of the brim, and put little barrettes through those loops. No one will be able to see and it won’t slip at all :)

2. Leah Jones says:

Thank you. I’m going to try to make one of these kaps and see if that makes the difference. I did make my own snood, which I really like, but it still slips. :(
    I appreciate your answering so quickly.
    Yeshua bless you,
    Leah

3. Jennifer Ghanem says:

Hi Angelia,

I have a question I hope you can help me out. I wanted to know how do you determine the width of a pleat to measure a certain sized head. I am working on different pattern that I plan to have it available in sizes small, medium, and large but I am lost as for a 22 1/2in., 23 1/4in. and 24in. Is there a Math equation I can use to figure this out… Thank you in advance

PBWY,
    Jennifer Ghanem (from facebook)

Hi Jennifer – you know I really never thought about that. What we do is take the already measured (using the person’s brim measurement) and hemmed brim, pin each lower edge and the center top of the crown piece and then we being pleating and pinning each side – left and right each side then down a little more left and right until we have the crown fitting to the brim. Sorry I couldn’t give you a more mathematical formula, but there it is!! ;-) If you figure one out we would love to know what you came up with.

4. Delores Gorter says:

I have to say that sewing is not a skill that I have mastered even remotely…however I believe the Lord opened my eyes because I actually understood how to sew this kap. So today I found some scrap material and set out to make this kap…3 hours later (my sewing machine doesn’t work..or I can’t work it)I had a hand sewn kap…that actually looked like a kap and fit!! Thank you so much for posting this….I can’t tell you what a blessing it is.

5. Kelly says:

Another thing that I use to help keep my headcovering on, as well as reducing hair breakage, is felt. I cut a small rectangle of black felt (1 1/4 x 2 1/2 inches), and clip it to the very top of my bun. Then I place the covering on and slide bobby pins in place, including the little piece of felt in the pin along with the hair. (Does this description make sense?)

6. Sheila H. says:

Thank you Erin for a great tutorial.
    God bless,
    Sheila

7. Mona says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I ended up making two muslin kapps first (making mistakes on both) but I sit here now wearing a most wonderful well-made kapp out of nice fabric and all thanks to you!
    I have a ginormous head so I ended up needing to add 3″ to the basic crown pattern, which made the crown 18″ across. Using the same triangle measurement for the pleats as you suggested, I just added two more pleats on each side for a total of eight per side instead of six. The brim is 22″ long and the neck binding is 12″, if that helps anyone with a really big head out there.
    As for securing the kapp, I read somewhere else that one woman buys those metal snap clips and sews two of them inside her kapps. When putting the kapp on, she catches some hair in a clip, then snaps it shut thru her kapp. I think that may just work! I am finding that these kapps stay on great and I’m pretty happy about that.
    Thank you again!

8. Michelle Therese says:

Thank you for that! I have a huge noggin + bit thick hair. So head coverings are a nightmare, I still haven’t found the right fit in nearly 8 years. I’ll take your measurements and the idea for the two extra pleats, and try from there. :-)

God bless!

9. Karen Green says:

Hi Sister Erin.
    I’m going to try to make the head covering you showed on this site. Question is: What type of material are you using? I hate to order headcoverings since they are so expensive, and I need ones that will stand up to everyday chores on my farm. Thankyou for your help.
    God’s Blessings,
    Karen Green

Hi Karen – We use basic broadcloth for our headcoverings.

10. Anne Chester says:

Hi I have been making my own coverings by crocheting them, I have looked over the post on how you make them and to be honest I don’t sew that we’ll. I was wondering if you ever made them and sold them because if so I would be very interested in buying some.

Anne – we have made and sold coverings in the past but are not doing so at this time. We will make sure to announce when we do so that you can order if you like. Thanks for asking!